Types of hosting solutions
A hosting service is related to saving and/or sharing certain content on a web hosting server run by a hosting provider. There are various classes of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's take a glimpse at them. Thus, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to set up a website, e-mail accounts, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by given companies, which allows you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free file hosting plans often involve adverts by the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain stretch of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you have a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a completely inaccurate interpretation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would assign the tasks at hand between individual stacks of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to attending various webspace hosting services (mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given vendors provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is suitable if you would like to share a big amount of pictures with chums or acquaintances since the solution is mostly free. You will receive a random link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to managing your email aliases. Some distributors provide web page hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an email hosting solution. If you wish to own an e-mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can set up email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a handful of videos and several hundred site visitors, you may have trouble with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video will enable you to own as many videos as you want without bothering about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to keep a web site. To some degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and e-mail addresses, upload video files, and so on. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that permit you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one place. There may be limitations based on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting package may be better or worse juxtaposed to the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are conceived for particular content exclusively.